Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Bienvenido!!

After much debate, Eric and I agreed that creating a blog for our trip through Peru would be a good idea. So, welcome to the 15 of you who might actually care enough about us to read it! Endless Debate also describes the general state of our interactions, as not only are we both prone to arguing positions we can't factually support, but we also have very different attitudes toward travel. Eric's tolerance for risk is much higher than mine, and as he himself said, "I have a natural aversion to over-preparing." I, on the other hand, prefer to think as far ahead as possible. However, I think that we'll end up balancing each other out in that I'll prevent Eric from doing anything unnecessarily dangerous and he'll force me out of my comfort zone a bit.

We are leaving for the airport in about an hour and from there we will fly to Lima on a direct flight. Much to our surprise (and mild embarrassment for our ignorance), Lima turns out to be only one hour behind NYC. As you will discover if you look at a map, the west coast of South America is pretty much in line with the east coast of the U.S., meaning that we will not have to worry about jet lag. Therefore, we're planning to basically get off the plane, drop our bags at the South American Explorers Club, and then sight see with the help of a local Peruvian whom we met via www.couchsurfing.com For those of you unfamiliar with couch surfing, it is a website that was created to facilitate international exchange by connecting people around the world and allowing them to sleep on each other's couches or spare beds. I considered trying this out when I was in Paris, but was a little wary doing it by myself. However, with Eric, and the assurance gained from reading reviews from other travellers, we're excited to try it out and meet some locals.

Alright, that's it for now. We will do our best to regularly update this and to make it somewhat interesting to read!

No comments: